I am Woman, Read This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2011

Swimming Lessons



Savanna took swimming lessons this year! Last summer we went swimming a lot, a certain sister-in-law was taking a break from employment so I had help at the pool and we were there a bunch. Savanna and Miles both wore the inflatable arm "floaties" in the pool and could handle themselves pretty well, and they loved being in the water. Well, one day we ended up going to a pool near my sister-laws-house, and they didn't allow any floatation devices. It made me very nervous, but we were already there so we got in the water. Savanna and Miles immediately sank to the bottom of the pool. I panicked and pulled them up. They both looked bewildered as could be. I hovered over them trying to teach them how to swim without the floaties. After 20 or so extremely stressful minutes we gave up and went home. That experience taught me a big lesson, my kids need to learn to swim for real, duh. So this year Savanna took lessons and Miles will be old enough next year. At first Savanna was a little cautious in the water and when she tried to swim she mostly flailed around splashing everyone, but I could definitely see her improving as the lessons went on. After the first day she said "I can swim without floaties now mom"... okay. She did well though, back floats, bobs, all that fun stuff, and best part was the huge grin she was sporting the entire time. I was very pleased when she passed level one, on to level two next year! I am going to try to take her to the pool without the other kids a few times so we can work on the things she learned. Hopefully she can at least stay afloat and not sink like a ton of bricks.

1 comment:

  1. Savanna's swimsuit is so cute! I wanted the same one for my 7 year old, but she had other ideas - oh well!
    I wanted to tell you that I love reading your blog and I can tell that you are such a great Mom who really loves her kids and spending time with them. You have such a cute family!!

    ReplyDelete