I am Woman, Read This Blog

Friday, May 4, 2012

Improvements



Spring brings warmth and sun and with it...motivation! I had ambitious plans to tear out my flower beds and start over with something extremely low maintenance. I do not enjoy yard work therefore my flower beds were over grown with weeds, rose bushes that refuse to die, and insufferable grass that crept in from the lawn. I started my annual "lets clean up this mess" massacre of hacking at bushes, ripping things out, cutting grass then getting tired, giving up and leaving it like that for the rest of the year. Only this time I was determined to keep going until I had something nice. All I wanted was to be able to walk home from church and not think, ugh this place is ugly. I also wanted something really, really easy to take care of. So I dug out every bush and plant and lots of dirt. I soaked the ground with weed killer then covered it with black weed preventing fabric. Then I planted a few of the very smallest, easiest plants I could find, and filled it in with gravel. James bought the gravel and unloaded one of the loads and about half way through unloading the second truck load of gravel, the Missionaries came by and helped me finish. Everything else I did myself, it took a couple of weeks and more than once I thought "this was a bad idea, what have I gotten myself into?" It was hard work but the end result was worth it. I have no before pictures (because why would I take a picture of my ugly flower beds?) and the plants need to grow and fill it in a bit but I am very happy!

The next project was much smaller, a cute little decoration for Savanna and Avery's room. We moved the crib out and put Avery in a new big girl bed! The girls both got new matching comforters and I made the sisters decoration to match. Cute. 

Last but definitely not least, I have been working to improve myself as a wife. This has been going on for quite awhile and I fail more than I would like to admit, but I keep forging ahead. I read a lot of books, my favorite being The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura Schlessinger. This is an amazing book and I highly recommend any wife or anyone who thinks they might become a wife to read it. She talks about how the feminist movement has hurt the family because of the idea that a woman doesn't need a man to be happy. Which is true of course, but if you choose to get married then you have a man, and must respect the fact that you need him. She also talks about how a lot of women feel entitled to have it all, that they can stay home with their kids but also be able to go out whenever they want and expect their husband to provided everything for them and do all the house work. From the beginning of my marriage and especially when I quit my job to be a stay at home mom when Savanna was born, James and I have had a clear idea of what the husband and wife roles should be. James works incredibly hard to provide for our family and I am the primary caregiver for the children and keep house. Of course there are many times when James is working on something at the house or watching the kids or I am running an errand or sending emails for the business, but we have been able to find the balance that works for us, and it's made us happy. My improvements as a wife have focused and making sure James knows how much I love him, respect him, and understand how hard he works and how much he does to provide every single thing the kids and I have. When he comes home my primary goal is to make him feel welcome, respected, loved and appreciated. I believe what Dr. Laura teaches, that the wife is the one who directs the mood of her home and family. My actions will set the tone for the day and it's up to me to make sure we have good days. I love my family and husband and I know I am extremely blessed to have the life I have. Life is always changing and as I get older (30 next week!) I understand what is important and what areas of my life I need to improve upon. I only hope I can continue on and keep making a better me.

No comments:

Post a Comment